Phone: 403.854.2099 Ext. 221
Hanna Learning Centre, in partnership with J.C. Charyk School, will
be offering WiseGuyz: Healthy Relationship Program. Hanna was
originally chosen by the Centre for Sexuality to be a pilot site in the
provincial scaling of the program for the 2018-2019 school year.
After two successful years, Hanna Learning Centre is pleased to
again be offering the program to Grade 9 men in our community.
WiseGuyz provides important healthy relationship education based
on an evidence-informed, research supported curriculum. The
program runs once a week during school time from October 2020 to
May 2021. In this voluntarily program, students will learn about and
- Physical health, hygiene and anatomy
- Pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection prevention
- Healthy relationships and decision making
- Peer bonding
- Conflict resolution and communication
- Emotions and stress management
- Gender and sexual diversity
- Media literacy
- Human rights and personal values
- Community resources and supports
Through research collected from multiple WiseGuyz programs, the Centre for Sexuality has learned:
- WiseGuyz graduates expressed that they are better able to engage in healthy relationships and
feel more comfortable making social connections and coping with negative emotions.
- Wiseguyz participants demonstrated significant improvements in homophobic attitudes, social
expectations around what it means to be a guy, and attitudes about their own sexual health
knowledge and abilities.
- Recent data suggests the program improves mental health and friendship quality.
If you have any further questions regarding the WiseGuyz program, please contact:
Hanna Learning Centre
403.854.2099 Ext. 221
Brenda Karg, RSW
Family Resource Program